Saturday, January 24, 2009

I won't complain

Stevie Wonder is blind. He has forty-two albums to his name, of which some are compilation albums. I have them all, now. It's almost too much to deal with. Maybe I should dedicate the entire month of February to Stevie and listen to one album a day. I could prepare in the remaining week of January with some compilations, or maybe a snippet of the Christmas album. I don't think I can stand listening to a Christmas album for an entire day having suffered through the holiday season in the States.
Stevie Wonder is pretty much the only man I really know who is blind. For some reason, when I listen to his music, it makes me think what some things must be like for Stevie. Like the concept of being black without being able to see the difference in people's skin tone. Or how he sees his wife and children. Or what it feels like to be left on a stage without anyone being able to guide you to the back during an award show. Things a blind person deals with that I don't take the time to dwell on normally. Things Stevie deals with all the times. It gives me more compassion for him than any other artist, without trying to say I pity him of course. No way to pity Stevie.
I took a class on the senses last year and the age old question arose again: would you rather be deaf or blind? I love seeing colors, landscapes, people interact, different shades of light, and I also very much like to see traffic when I ride a bike, or all of the steps on the stairwell. But if I were to be deaf, I would never be able to dedicate an entire month to a musical genius, his voice, and how he plays the keys.

So, to bless the fact that we don't need to make this horrendous choice, a video of the good man singing at his friend's funeral. And take the lyrics to heart.

2 comments:

Eline said...

"Someone get Stevie off the stage!"

In alle ernst is Stevie een van de weinige levende legenden waar ik oprecht om zou rouwen als ze doodgingen.

NOBODY'S BIZNESS said...

Stevie knocks me off my feet! And I like...